The University of West London has over ten years’ experience of delivering apprenticeships and received an Outstanding grade from Ofsted in 2013 recognising the quality of our provision. Since then the provision of apprenticeships and Further Education has increased, both at UWL and in our partner organisations. Whilst most of our continuing professional development activities are relevant to all those who teach courses delivered by the University of West London, the particular nature of apprenticeships and FE in HE is recognised and we do offer bespoke training for course teams and individuals who want to advance their understanding and expertise in this area.
UWL also delivers the Academic Professional Apprenticeship (Level 7) which enables us to teach all those new to Higher Education Academic Practice the nuanced differences between teaching at Levels 2-8, as well as the particular relationship between the employer-apprentice-education provider in apprenticeship programmes.
In the last year, since ExPERT Academy’s inception, as well as our standard CPD programme, we have delivered the following staff development for FE and Apprenticeship providers:
Online assessment and feedback
- Reflecting on the NSS – what are we doing and what can be improved
- Looking at the School – exploring what is being done and what the school wants to achieve
- Types of assessment
- Exploring what students want with assessment and feedback
- Exploring online assessment strategies and features
- Exploring effective feedback
- Scaffolding assessment
- Explore the use of Rubrics (with case studies)
Learning design and scaffolding with learning technologies
- What do we plan and how do we plan a lesson?
- How students learn (active learning Vs passive learning)
- The conversational framework (five types of learning)
- Identifying key principles of learning design
- Designing a weekly learning plan for your students
An example of our work can be found here FE & Apprenticeship CPD with SCE. For further information or to request bespoke FE or Apprenticeship training for staff, please contact the ExPERT Academy and entitle your email ‘CPD request’.