Each semester the University asks students to complete the Module Evaluation Survey (MES). All modules are evaluated either online or in class by the module tutor.
These opportunities allow students a voice in feeding back and feeding forward what changes they would like. A key part of this cycle is hearing from their module leader how feedback will be acted upon.
The information collected from the MES is vital as there are often direct correlations and indicators between MES and NSS results. The MES data will also support the TEF and APP portfolios.
Key dates for module evaluations are indicated below and are also circulated by Heads of School to module leaders. Be sure to build into your schedule a class session when you will undertake the MES with your students.
MES Schedule and key dates
|Teaching Week 8
|Pre-survey campaign from Academic Schools & Communications Department
|Teaching Week 9
Surveys go live
MES goes live on Monday morning (9am) of Week 9;
|Teaching Week 10
MES closes on Sunday evening (11:59pm) of Week 10
|Teaching Week 11
|EvaSys reports are available to access via MES email account for each Academic School;
HoS must circulate the reports to the MLs by the end of Week 11;
MLs must review EvaSys reports and produce a summary and response, to the feedback received, which will be confirmed by the School Exec before posting on BB
|Teaching Week 12
|MES Data analysis will be available to access via Strategic Planning
|Teaching Week 13 – 15
|MES outcomes and actions to be made available to the Schools committee meeting(s), School Boards and to the Student
Five key documents:
- This ops manual has been developed to provide guidance for Heads of Schools (HoS) and Subjects, and Module Leaders (MLs) to perform their functions correctly and effectively in order to ensure the smooth delivery of the Module Evaluation Survey (MES). It will reduce misunderstandings and inform everyone precisely what they need to do, who they are responsible to and for whom they are responsible.
2. The introductory video
- This is the key video resource that introduce the MES to students:
3. MES slide for teaching staff
- Use this PPT slide displayed in class when students complete the survey. It contains the links to the UWL Student Union President video and the survey (https://uwl.surveys.evasysplus.co.uk). This is a live document so please download your own copy for editing.
Please note the following actions:
- Can you please complete slide 4 to reflect changes made based on previous feedback specific to your areas. You Said, We Did!
- Slide 5 is there if you need to contextualise any of the questions.
- It is advised that course reps encourage their peers either at the beginning or during slide 6 – depending on whether your course reps feel comfortable of course.
4. Accessing MES Results
- MES Results are made available as a Tableau file into the Student surveys (SharePoint).
- Guidance on how to provide feedback to students following their completion of the MES
- MES survey: https://uwl.surveys.evasysplus.co.uk/
- MES quantitative results are published under the heading ‘Module Evaluation Analysis’ in Strategic Planning.
If you require further support, please contact ModuleEvaluation@uwl.ac.uk.