Each semester the University asks all students to complete the Module Evaluation Survey (MES). All modules are evaluated in class by the module tutor.
These opportunities allow students a voice in feeding back and feeding forward what changes they would like. A key part of this cycle is hearing from their module leader how feedback will be acted upon.
The information collected from the MES is vital as there are often direct correlations and indicators between MES and NSS results. The MES data will also support the TEF portfolio.
Key dates for module evaluations are indicated below and are also circulated by Heads of School to module leaders. Be sure to build into your schedule a class session when you will undertake the MES with your students.
MES Schedule and key dates for Semester 1
|11 – 15 Nov. 2019||
|18 Nov. 2019 at 9am||
|8 Dec. 2019 at 11:59pm||
|16 – 20 Dec. 2019||MLs must review EvaSys PDF reports and produce a summary and response, to the feedback received, which will be confirmed by the School Exec before posting on BB. Also a central announcement will be sent to the students thanking them for participating in the survey|
|Jan. 2020||MES results from Semester 1 will be made available to the Schools committee meeting(s), School Boards and to the Student Experience Group by the Strategic Planning Department.|
PVC Student Experience may decides to extend the survey, if response rates are low.
Please refer to the Module Evaluation Survey (MES) Guide for further information regarding the MES delivery and key dates.
Five key documents:
- This ops manual has been developed to provide guidance for Heads of Schools (HoS) and Subjects, and Module Leaders (MLs) to perform their functions correctly and effectively in order to ensure the smooth delivery of the Module Evaluation Survey (MES). It will reduce misunderstandings and inform everyone precisely what they need to do, who they are responsible to and for whom they are responsible.
- This is the key video resource that introduces the MES to students
- Use this PPT slide displayed in class when students complete the survey. It contains the links to the UWL Student Union President video and the survey (www.uwl.ac.uk/surveys).
- The above document contains step-by-step guidance on how to examine the results in Tableau. See Step 5 for locating individual module data.
- Prior to survey close, response rates are sometimes provided at School level but not for individual modules.
- Quantitative results are released approximately 5 days after the survey closing date (see Essential links below).
- Qualitative results (confidential) are released to Head of Schools at a later date to circulate to appropriate staff. (Please contact your own HoS if relevant.)
- Guidance on how to provide feedback to students following their completion of the MES
- MES survey: www.uwl.ac.uk/surveys
- MES quantitative results are published under the heading ‘Module Evaluation Analysis’ in Strategic Planning.
If you require further support, please contact ModuleEvaluation@uwl.ac.uk.
If your query relates to a technical issue, please make sure you quote your module reference number. For student access issues, please also quote the student ID.